SAR data quality and cal val engineer
ARESYS is active since long time in the field of Earth Observation and in particular in the calibration and validation of SAR systems.
The activities involve the validation of the SAR data quality after launch during the Commissioning phase, and the long term monitoring of the instrument and of the data during the full Mission operations.
ARESYS is looking for a “SAR data quality and cal/val engineer”, to join the Earth Observation missions post-launch support team within the Expert support and engineering business unit.
Main tasks and responsibilities:
The candidate will support the cal/val and products quality assessment activities on EO SAR data for current and future spaceborne SAR missions.
The performed activities will include:
- Analyzing L0 and L1 SAR products to identify quality issues related to instrument or processing errors.
- Analyzing L1 SAR products acquired over SAR calibration sites to derive the quality parameters to be compared against mission requirements.
- Supporting the early phases of new SAR missions and the development of SAR processors performing SAR quality checks on simulated SAR data.
- Supporting the commissioning activities of new SAR missions.
- Supporting the long-term calibration of existing SAR missions.
- Supporting the definition and the implementation of new SAR calibration algorithms to be included in the suite of Aresys SAR Calibration Tools.
- The task might include regular on-field surveys and outdoor activities as applicable depending on the cal/val needs.
- Participating to meetings with EO missions’ responsible teams to report the results of the quality assessment activities.
- Preparing technical documents reporting the results of the quality assessment activities.
Education and experience:
- MsC in Telecommunication engineering, Electronic engineering or related fields.
- Experience in remote sensing and Earth Observation techniques.
- General background and specific experience in SAR data processing and cal/val and quality assessment.
- Preferably, knowledge of the panorama of Earth Observation SAR missions and their operations.
- Proficiency in digital signal processing
- Fundamentals of SAR data quality analysis
- Fundamentals of python usage and programming
- MS Windows / Linux and office suite for documentation
- Capable of managing small projects in an autonomous way (e.g., the development of a new SAR cal/val algorithm)
- Well suited to work in team
- Willing to interact with the international SAR scientific community
- Collaborative and open-minded
- Available for occasional travel and regular on-field support activity.
- Curious and eager to learn